If you ever get this error from TFS, then double-check that the item you’re requesting does actually exist in the repository. I was having this
problem with one of our projects, where I was asking TFS for the latest version of this item:
$/Online Services Solution Template/Main/Source
But after much investigation (including querying the TFS SQL database directly) I discovered that the correct item name was in fact:
$/Online Services Solution Templates/Main/Source
So another way to read that error message would be as “I can’t find an item with that name, are you sure you
typed it correctly?”
Over the last couple of years, I've had access to Windows Mobile devices suitable for listening to podcasts, however one thing I've struggled to find is decent podcast software.
There are two kinds - ones that just run on the PC, and have the ability to copy or sync with the device, and ones that just run on the device. Most of the PC-side applications tend to just add the downloaded audio file to Windows Media Player, and you then use WMP to synch with the device. One problem I've noticed is that the COM interface that WMP provides to these applications can be fussy about funny characters in playlist names (eg. ".NET Rocks!").
- One of the first I tried was Nimiq which is pretty good, though there hasn't been any development since January 2006. As I've commented on their blog, it also has problems when it creates items for Windows Media Player to sync with the device.
- Juice Receiver is one of the original podcast receiver apps, but I could never get it to work well on Vista. The last major release was July 2006.
- Doppler also has issues with Vista and proxies. Version 2.0 is also from ~2006. They were working on version 3.0 for ages, and then moved over to CodePlex where there does seem to be some activity but no new releases yet.
- It turns out Winamp also has some support for downloading podcasts and copying them to a device, but it isn't very stable (it always crashes the first time I go to sync the feeds), so I gave up on it after a while.
- Newsgater have made FeedDemon free for personal use. This worked ok, but sometimes choked on some of the feeds (being a bit fussier than some about the XML validity). Newsgator Go! is Newsgator's mobile version but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear to support enclosures at all.
- RssBandit is written in .NET, but while I tried it for a while, the podcast stuff really feels bolted on the side, and didn't work that well for me.
- FeederReeder looks interesting, but you need to register in their forums to download, and just at the moment their forums hare having DNS issues.
- Pocket Podcasts is a very simple open-source app. It refused to let me add the .NET Rocks feed, and the PC-side app doesn't understand ActiveSync so it couldn't see my device. No updates for around 12 months.
- Hubdog looked promising. The app can use a local list of feeds or you can register on the site and store the list there (note, that this makes them public). There's a few bugs in it (eg. I couldn't delete an existing feed) and instead of just getting the latest 4 items (as I'd specified), it insisted on downloading every enclosure for the feed.
- Podcastready has a mobile client, but it doesn't seem to work with proxies.
So as unbelievable as it sounds, I haven't actually found any decent podcatching software. I might have to get around to writing my own (though I'd prefer not to).
Now that Windows Server 2008 is done, the SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework version 3.5 has also been released.
To get started, there's some excellent instructions available for download as a PDF.
Additional things I did:
I tried to set up the FastCGI extension for IIS, but after getting some weird errors, decided to leave it for another time.
This did end up taking a lot longer that I'd hoped. But at least it is working now.
Microsoft claimed that Internet Explorer for Windows Mobile 6 was a big improvement on previous versions. That wouldn't be hard, seeing as earlier versions were roughly equivalent to most of IE3/4.
Unfortunately, IE for WM6 isn't that much better. Quite a few websites I visit render poorly on it.
I'm a big fan of Mozilla, and they've produced Minimo. This runs like a very slow dog and seems to crash more often than not. Hopefully it will improve over time, but I'm not sure that there's much (if any) further development going on.
I tried Opera's mobile browser, which looked really good. It costs money however, and I'd prefer not to pay for a web browser.
Today I came across Skyfire. It's a free browser, initially for Windows Mobile 5 & 6. It's still in Beta, and for some weird reason, while you can sign up for the beta, if you don't have a US telephone number, you can't get it at the moment. A bit strange as they do say it will work over WiFi too.