Visual Studio Cube

Friday, 14 December 2007

I got a nice Christmas present this morning - my "thanks for testing Visual Studio 2008" cube arrived. It doesn't do much but it is pretty.

Visual Studio crystal cube

Not two for free

Tuesday, 11 December 2007

Just in case you were planning to do what I was - you can't use a "free exam voucher" together with a "second shot" voucher.

I was all set to do two exam next Monday, figuring that even if I didn't pass, I could still retake them in January for free.

Not so.

Fortunately I found this out before I'd used up my second "free exam" voucher.

An ALT.NET Christmas

Saturday, 8 December 2007

'Twas the night before the weekend...

Problems with Visual Studio Conversion Wizard in 2008

Wednesday, 5 December 2007

Converting projects to Visual Studio 2008 doesn't always go smoothly.

You might see it blow up with a COMException error

If your ASP.NET web application project is configured to use IIS (instead of the built-in web server), then you'll need to run VS as Administrator (thanks to Mikhail posting that workaround) This is because VS needs to look in IIS's metabase and it requires admin privileges to do that.

I'm also getting a very helpful "The operation could not be completed"

Trying to dig deeper, I ran a debug instance of VS (eg. opened up VS and then ran another instance of VS inside that) to see if there were any exceptions that might give a clue as to what was going wrong.

I now get a little bit more info: COMException 0x80020009 "Function evaluation disabled because a previous function evaluation timed out. You must continue execution to reenable function evaluation."

I spent some time trying to figure this out, but in the end gave up and just created a new project in 2008 and copied in the old files.

Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects - Dec07 CTP

Monday, 3 December 2007

This is one thing that we were missing from our requirements to fully make use of VS 2008.

Web Deployment Projects pre-compile your web application projects, can remove files that aren't needed on the production web server, and as a side-effect of compiling the .aspx pages too, can find some syntax errors that don't get noticed by the normal VS compiler.

Watch out for this bug though.