After a few test runs (including confirming that all my data was copied over to an external hard disk), I finally took the plunge yesterday.
I’m now running Windows Vista Enterprise, and one big change is that I’ve gone back to 32-bit. I’m a little disappointed as 64-bit was working pretty well, but there were a few things that didn’t work at all, like Oracle client software and Centra (which forced me to run both inside Virtual PC)
I’m pleased to report that Oracle has installed ok now.
I also repartitioned the disk, so now I’ve got my data back on D: where it belongs. I did some rough calculations and decided on 60 Gigabytes for the primary C: partition.
Overall, RTM seems pretty solid. One good thing was that I noticed running SourceSafe now seems a lot faster than on the 64-bit RC2 environment. Don’t know if it’s the move back to 32bit or RTM that has fixed that problem - but a “Get Latest” was taking minutes to complete, and we’re back now to a few seconds, which is much more respectable.
About the only thing I forgot to do before reformatting was to check-in some pending changes into our Team Foundation Server. Because I forgot to do that, it left the changes “orphaned” in the old workspace. This was causing some weird things to happen on the new install until I realised that it might not be happy using the old workspace in the new OS. Removing the old workspace and doing some careful updating (manually updating those files I hadn’t checked in) and I’m ok now.
Categories: Windows Vista