• 4,500 kms later

    Last night we finished a two week driving holiday to the eastern states (Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland). It’s trips like this that make you realise how vast the continent of Australia is (and how nice it would be to be able to fly everywhere instead of driving!).

    Map showing route from Adelaide to Brisbane and back again

    It also reinforces my respect for those who choose to live and work in these remote regions.

    Sunset on horizon

    Highlights of the trip were the Pioneer Settlement in Swan Hill,

    Pioneer Village, Swan Hill

    a paddle-steamer ride in Echuca,

    Paddle steamer Canberra, Echuca

    more driving,

    Roadside forest, NSW

    a few days in a Bed and Breakfast in Grafton, NSW,


    Some fun at Dreamworld in Queensland (yes, the kids are in there with me),


    more driving down through the Gold Coast (No, we’re not racing),


    Before heading back home again. Our final day was from Parkes, NSW back to Adelaide – at 1,000 kms the longest distance we did in a single day.

    Sunset driving back to Adelaide

    It is good to be home again. Needless to say, I’m glad I’ve got a couple more days to recover before I go back to work.

    It isn’t the end of my travels though. I’m off again in a couple of weeks to visit RL Solution’s Toronto office for a week, before going to my first MVP Summit at Microsoft’s campus in Seattle.

  • I’m an MVP!

    In the early hours of this morning I received an email from Microsoft:

    Dear David Gardiner, Congratulations! We are pleased to present you with the 2015 Microsoft® MVP Award! This award is given to exceptional technical community leaders who actively share their high quality, real world expertise with others. We appreciate your outstanding contributions in ASP.NET/IIS technical communities during the past year.

    It’s an award not for exceptional technical knowledge as such, but rather for “community leaders..sharing .. with others”. I’m thrilled to receive it, and hope it will help me to do even more for the developer community in the future.

    Next up I’m hoping to attend the MVP Summit in Seattle in early November. It will be great to meet many of the other MVP award recipients in person (and hopefully line up some speakers for the Adelaide .NET User Group).

    It’s going to be busy over the next few weeks getting ready!

  • Automated ATO scam phone calls

    Yesterday and today I received some unusual calls on my mobile phone. They were both using computerised voices and claimed to be related to some legal action related to the “ATO” (presumably the Australian Tax Office). Yesterday’s call was supposedly from an “Agent John Smith”. Pretty sure the computer voice said “A-Toe”, rather than “A-T-O” too.

    The calling numbers (and also the number they suggested I call them back on in the message) were:

    • 0261004343
    • 0261003101

    The second number called twice as I didn’t hear or pick up the first time.

    No surprises, it’s a scam - https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/news/telephone-calls-alleging-fake-arrest-warrants-used-to-scam-money

    Interesting that they are calling my mobile – usually I get the “hello sir, your computer is sending us errors, would you like us to fix it” scams just on the home phone.